Skip to content

Child Care Resource and Referral Network

Home Parent Services Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) A Parent's Guide to CCAP
A Parent's Guide to CCAP

A Parents Guide to the Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP)



How do I get assistance for paying for my child care?


Complete a child care application and attach the following:

Are you working?

- Attach copies of two (2) current and consecutive pay stubs.

- If you just started a new job and don't have pay stubs yet, you will need to attach a letter from your employer on company letterhead listing the days and hours you are working and your rate of pay.

Are you attending a school or vocational training?

- If the parent is enrolled in a below post-secondary education (literacy, adult education, etc...) or occupational/vocational programs (cosmetology, electrical, etc...) the client must maintain a "C" average or comparable grade as determined by the institution.  The parent is not required to work for the first two years on this program.  After the initial two year period, the parent is required to work 20 hours per week.

- Individuals who attend college to obtain a 2-year or 4-year degree are no longer required to work for the first 48 months of participation.  Beginning the 49th month, participants will be required to work 20 hours per week.  Individuals who attend college and who do not work must maintain a cummulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.5 (on a scale of 4 points).  Individuals who attend college and choose to work 20 hours or more each week will be allowed to maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0.

Who can be my child care provider?

Not all child care providers are the same. Choose a provider that is right for you and your child. The quality of care is what counts!

Your Child Care Provider Can Be:

- License or License-Exempt (not licensed by the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services)

- Child Care Center or Child Care Home

- A relative, friend or neighbor: MUST be at least 18 years of age

Your Provider Cannot Be:

- A parent or stepparent of the children

- On the same TANF cash assistance grant as you and your children if you are receiving these benefits


I have submitted my application. When will I know that I am approved on the Child Care Assistance Program?

You and your child care provider will be notified within 10 business days:

For an approval, if all information and documents are submitted.

Your approval letter will contain:  monthly co-payments, number of days per week that IDHS will pay for child care, children who are eligible for the program, how long you are eligible for assistance and the daily rate your child care provider will be paid.  Usually, you will have to renew your child care case every 3 or 6 months.

For a Request of Additional Information, if there is conflicting or missing information found.

For a Denial, if you do not meet the program eligibility guidelines.


I am approved on the Child Care Assistance Program, but I have changes in my information.

You must notify us within five (5) business days if:

- You move.

- You stop working.

- You start or stop attending school or a training program.

- You change your job or school/training program.

- You change work or school hours.

- There is a change in family size or income.

- You get married or divorced.

- You start or stop receiving TANF, child support, SSI, SSA and other cash benefits.

For more information about the Child Care Assistance Program, please contact us at 309-828-1892 or 800-437-8256.